Wednesday, April 15, 2015

A brief intro..

I am a Registered Nurse and have been for the last 10 years. I graduated with a Bachelors in Nursing (BSN) and dove right into the world of nursing.  I have worked in various settings but I am currently doing more of community health nursing which I truly love and enjoy.  Not only is it flexible and gives me financial stability and job security, it is also extremely rewarding.  

Am at a crossroads though. I enjoy what I do, but I also want to get a higher education. The itch to pursue medicine has always been there but it has always seemed like such an impossibility and arduous process that I just shelved it and even considered becoming a nurse practitioner or a CRNA instead.  

I have worked with and around doctors, and I have to say I admire the profession. The autonomy that comes with being a doctor, the intellectually stimulating career, using medical knowledge to change lives, the different opportunities e.t.c are some of the things that draw me to medicine. Not to forget, I am fascinated with how the human body works. Even though as a nurse, several of these reasons are fulfilled to some degree, it's not the same. 

Well, I have revisited the idea of pursuing medicine and this time around, I have an overwhelming confidence that I should at least give it a try. Am raising two kids and instilling in them that they can do anything they put their minds to and am now having to remind myself of the same every single day.  

But I have to admit that the doubt and internal conflict is also overwhelming.  Questions such as why now, am I too old for this, will I make it in med school or even get admitted for that matter...These questions will continue to haunt me this entire process but am determined to try, at least give it a shot..

Someone once said "a thousand mile journey, begins with a single step"..well this is it for me.  A new beginning to a long journey ahead.........

No comments:

Post a Comment